Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A little history

I am a novice dog trainer. I have a Samoyed named Jazz who is six years old. I did not plan to enter the "sport of dogs." (I love that phrase - Ron Reagan uses it during his commentary on Westminster and it sounds so impressive!) I really didn't even begin training my dog with any kind of plan. I've tried to figure out how I got into this, but it all seems kind of blurry!

What I know is that I am now hooked. Jazz and I have completed our Rally titles - novice through excellent. It was an enormous struggle. Jazz jumped the ring gates and galloped around the building the first three time we went into the ring without a leash. Completing those titles was a very big accomplishment for us. I should have stopped there, but I am not that smart.

We also began training for agility trials. That is our first love. I think agility is much more difficult for me as the handler than it is for Jazz. He just runs and jumps and has a great time, except for the parts where he has to do what I tell him. Even those times wouldn't be so bad if he could figure out what I was trying to tell him. We have many misunderstandings. We are making progress and have actually earned a novice agility jumpers title. We could continue to work on agility and all would be well. Again - I am not that smart.

We are also working to earn obedience titles. Titles plural may be a little optimistic at this point, but I think it's clear that I am an optimistic sort of person. We have not yet earned any obedience titles. (See the definition of the phrase "you are excused" above. It's possible that the examples are real life experiences. They might even be MY real life experiences.)

I plan to write about my experiences as a novice dog trainer. Maybe my experiences will serve as a warning to others. At the very least, others who read this blog might end up feeling pretty good about their own accomplishments in the dog world.

See you in the ring.

3 comments:

  1. Kathy,

    I have loved you guys since the beginning and maybe you are just not "smart" enough to remember how far you have come. Keep up the good work you will get there, You are still one of my favorite teams.

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, I love this. You and Jazz make me smile. Your optimism and determination are inspiring. Can't wait to read more.

    MW

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Kathy - I Love it!!!

    Welcome to the world of Blogging!

    Toni

    ReplyDelete